Thursday, August 27, 2009

I'm still alive...

Ok... so I haven't blogged in a while. I'm REALLY busy though!

Let me summarize... I work at a University as a computer geek! (day Job), all the students are coming back in the next week. I have 5 Dept. to look after (mostly by myself), and they all want something NOW, or 5 Min. ago. Sooooooooooooooooooo... No time to blog... And really it is no time... 'Cause the other exciting part of my life right now is that every other waking moment I am learning to write for TV! I have been reading, and writing as much as I can! Thankfully I have a number of friends who work in the industry who are wonderful and fantastic enough to share their wisdom and scripts with me so I can learn the formatting and pace of TV Writing.

I have finished the 1st draft of the Re-write on Blood & Roses I started after the last contest results came in. It is obvious that there is something not quite right in the script. It makes it to the finals but is missing something the judges are all looking for to make it a winner... Sooooooooooo, re-write... and the 1st draft is done. Hurray! I have also been working on finishing Ghost Hunter. I have about 20-30 pages left on that one before I will turn it over to my script angel Xandy for her harsh and poignant critique (which is always right on the money). She, is a script saver! But... unfortunately for me, or rather fortunately for me, I had a brilliant idea about the story while waiting for the bus a coupe of days ago, so now I have to re-write a GIANT section of the script... so Maybe it's more like 50 pages.

Next, I have 2 spec scripts to write. 1 - 1hr TV Drama. and 1 - 1/2 TV comedy. I will likely do a Vampire Diaries for my drama... Looks like such a good series! and right up my alley. And an American Dad for my 1/2 comedy. I have been, for the last week and a bit, expertly guided into the wonderful world of Animation writing by Xandy's equally accomplished husband Stephen. Both have worked on some of my Favourite Saturday morning cartoons like The Batman, Ben 10, Superman: The Animated Series etc... Such good shows... So much fun! And I'm learning soooooooo much my brain can hardly contain the knowledge. I am also getting some good Q&A from both of them. I hope their investment in me pays off. I will certainly do anything and everything in my power to get to my goals... I have given myself 5 yrs to have one of my scripts produced into a Feature. I have my award speeches mostly written in my head...

"I'd like to thank the academy for this great honour, 5 yrs ago as I sat blogging about my writing career I never could have imagined the moment when I would be standing here..." So on...

I kid... but I do have a set, set of goals... (I actually carry them around in my wallet). I will accomplish every last one of them, and you know... I have set some pretty impossible goals out for myself before and blown through them like a F5 Tornado - Baby!... Soooooooooooooo... What if I do have my eyes set on that golden statue? I've got some good stories to tell. Now its on me to get them down on paper, and make them sparkle and shine like the Trophy itself. If I can do that, nothing can stop me...

Anyway... way off track... After I'm done the specs, I have to write my Pilot... Which I have also been working on. The universe is outlined, the characters are good... The working doc. is quickly turning into a Bible for the show. So it'll be a good reference to work with once I get down to outlining the pilot. Teh pilot will be quick paced and grab you before the teaser is finished... Once Esprit is introdced you'll fall in love and that will be the end of it... You'll be an addict! I promise!

So anyway, gotta jet...

KEEP WRITING!!!!! You know you want to!

- G

No comments:

Post a Comment